Social Security Disability Lawyers in Roanoke, VA
Millions of disabled Americans who are unable to work because of their health rely on Social Security disability benefits to cover their basic needs each month. The Social Security Administration (SSA) pays these monthly benefits through two disability programs: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) for disabled adults who have worked and paid FICA taxes and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for disabled adults and children with limited assets and resources.
To obtain the Social Security benefits you deserve, you will first need to file an application for benefits with the SSA. This can be done at your local Roanoke Social Security office, which is located at 612 S. Jefferson St., Roanoke, VA 24011, online, or with the help of a Roanoke disability lawyer. Then you’ll need to develop evidence to prove that you’re disabled and win your Social Security claim.
The Social Security Disability claim process is complex, and most people are denied after filing their initial application. If you are living with a physical or mental disability that prevents you from working, speak to our Roanoke disability lawyers for a free consultation so that you can learn about the medical and non-medical requirements of the SSDI and SSI programs. Call us today to schedule your appointment.
Do I Qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits in Roanoke?
Contrary to what some people believe, it is not easy to get approved for SSD benefits. The majority of applicants are denied SSDI and SSI benefits each year.
The SSA does not award partial disability benefits. You must prove that you are totally disabled based on your medical condition, age, education, and work experience. As a general rule, the older you are the easier it is to get approved for SSD benefits. This is because of the way the SSA Grid Rules, also known as the Medical-Vocational Guidelines, are written. Individuals over the age of 50 have a better chance of winning SSD benefits, especially if their past work was done at the medium or heavy exertional levels.
After you file for Social Security in Roanoke, your claim will be evaluated. When the SSA reviews your application for disability benefits, it will use the following five-step evaluation to determine whether you’re disabled:
- Is the claimant working? If you are performing substantial gainful activity (SSA), which is defined as earning more than $1,170 per month in 2017, then you are not eligible for Social Security disability benefits.
- Do you have any severe medical impairments? You must have a severe physical or mental health condition for which you are seeking treatment to receive SSD benefits.
- Does your impairment meet or equal the severity of an impairment in the SSA’s Listing of Impairments? The SSA keeps a list of conditions in its Blue Book. If you meet the criteria for a specific listing, then you’re found disabled automatically.
- Are you able to perform your past work? If so then your claim will be denied.
- Are you able to adjust to and perform any other type of work that exists in the national economy based on your age, physical exertion abilities, and acquired job skills? The answer must be no to receive SSD benefits.
These are just the medical requirements to get SSD benefits. You must also meet the non-financial requirements.
To qualify for SSDI benefits, you must have enough work credits and prove that you were disabled before your date last insured.
To qualify for SSI benefits you must have limited assets, resources, and income. Too much of either and your claim will be denied, no matter how disabled you are.
A Roanoke VA Social Security Disability attorney can help you address all aspects of your claim, including the non-medical requirements.
What Disabilities Qualify for SSD Benefits?
There are many physical and mental conditions that may qualify you for Social Security benefits. Heart disease, cancer, multiple sclerosis, depression, back pain, amputations, and schizophrenia are a few examples.
The SSA divides medical impairments into different body systems. The following categories are used by the SSA:
- Cardiovascular System
- Congenital Disorders Affecting Multiple Body Systems
- Digestive System
- Endocrine Disorders
- Genitourinary Disorders
- Hematological Disorders
- Immune System Disorders
- Mental Disorders
- Musculoskeletal System
- Neurological Disorders
- Respiratory Disorders
- Skin Disorders
- Special Senses and Speech
There are two ways to get approved for disability benefits based on your medical condition. The first is by meeting a listing, which requires you to meet specific criteria for your medical condition. The second is by proving that your impairment or combination of impairments cause restrictions that prevent you from maintaining competitive employment.
Non-listing disability cases are usually more complex. But our Roanoke Social Security lawyer can help you regardless of your medical condition and regardless of whether you meet or equal a listing.
How much will I receive in monthly SSD payments?
Your SSDI benefits are based on your lifetime earnings. The average SSDI monthly payment is a little under $1,200 per month. But it’s possible to receive much more if you have a strong work history or if you have a spouse and children who qualify for auxiliary benefits. You may also be able to receive SSDI based on the earnings record of a spouse or parent.
SSI recipients receive between $700 and $800 each month. SSI is not based on your lifetime earning history. Instead, it is based on the federal benefit rate. This number usually increases each year.
Determining the exact amount of benefits is difficult. But when you work with our Roanoke disability attorney, we will make sure your benefits are calculated accurately.
How Can Corey Pollard Help with My SSD Case?
You can try to receive your SSD benefits without help, but having an experienced Roanoke SSD lawyer can be invaluable. There are many ways we can help:
- Make sure your paperwork and forms are completed accurately and completely
- Make sure you meet the appropriate SSA deadlines
- Help you and the SSA gather medical and non-medical evidence to support your claim
- Review your medical records and reports to build an argument for why you meet a listing
- Work with your treating medical providers to develop evidence
- File an appeal with the SSA if it denies your claim at the initial or reconsideration levels
- Explain the claims process and answers your questions
- Represent you at a Social Security Disability hearing, which will likely be held in downtown Roanoke.
- Help you get all the back pay you are entitled to
- And much more
The SSA denies the majority of the initial claims it receives. And many people give up when they receive this first denial. Don’t give up without a fight! Call our Roanoke SSI attorney so that we can help you prepare your claim and develop the evidence to give you the best chance of getting the SSD benefits you need.
With our Roanoke disability lawyer helping you with the process, you have a better chance of winning your claim. We have the experience, skills, and resources to assist you. We understand how important these monthly disability payments are to you, and we will provide high-quality legal representation at every stage. Further, we know how to tailor the presentation of your case to the likes and dislikes of the administrative law judge who will decide it.
Can I Afford a Social Security Disability Attorney in Roanoke?
When you hire Corey Pollard, there are no upfront legal fees. And we only get paid if you win your case.
Our fee is capped by the federal government. It is limited to 25 percent of the back pay you are awarded, up to a maximum amount of $6,000. This is a small amount compared to the benefits you may receive over your lifetime if you are approved.
We can help you win your Social Security case if you live in Roanoke or one of the following communities: Botetourt County; Craig County; Franklin County; Salem; Cave Spring; Rocky Mount; Vinton; and, anywhere else nearby.
We often work with healthcare providers with Carilion to help our clients get approved for benefits. And we want to help you. Contact one of the best Social Security Disability lawyers in Roanoke VA today