Car Accident Lawyer in Richmond, VA
Hire a Top-Rated Auto Accident Attorney in Richmond, VA Who Will Help You Recover Following a Car Crash
Were you injured in a car crash in Richmond? We are available to help you 24/7. Call us now at 804-251-1620 for a free consultation after your auto wreck.
Last year there were more than 128,000 reported motor vehicle crashes in Virginia – a car crash every four minutes on our state’s roads. Many of these auto accidents were caused by negligent and reckless acts. Richmond car accident lawyer Corey Pollard believes these negligent drivers should be held accountable for the injuries, pain, suffering, and financial harm they cause.
If you are reading this page because you have been injured in a car accident in the greater Richmond region, or if you’re looking for an auto accident attorney for a loved one, let us say how sorry we are for the pain and frustration you and your family are going through. We understand that car accidents can cause serious injuries. And stress from the pain, lost wages, and high medical bills can lead to physical, mental, and financial struggles following your car wreck.
Under Virginia law, you may be entitled to compensation. Unfortunately insurance companies are looking out for their own interests, not yours, and getting the money you deserve may be difficult. But we can help.
As your Richmond car accident lawyer, our job is to help you understand your legal rights following a car crash and to pursue those rights aggressively so that the other driver and his or her insurance company are held accountable.
When you hire us your auto accident attorney, you’ll know that you have a tireless advocate who is committed to helping injured drivers, pedestrians, passengers, and bicyclists obtain fair compensation to cover damages such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Depending on the details of your auto accident, you may be able to obtain monetary damages through insurance claims or a civil lawsuit against the negligent driver and any other responsible parties. Whatever it takes, I’ll take action to protect your rights as a car accident victim.
Contact one of the top Richmond car accident lawyers at 804-251-1620 or fill out our FREE case evaluation form to the right so that an experienced auto accident attorney can get started on your case.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Richmond and Across Virginia
Driving in the metro Richmond area is dangerous. Each year thousands of crashes happen on roads such as Chippenham Parkway, Interstate 64, Interstate 95, Interstate 85, Interstate 264, Interstate 195, Interstate 295, Broad Street, Virginia State Route 288, Powhite Parkway, and Hull Street.
These auto accidents may involve:
- Two passenger vehicles
- More than two passenger vehicles (pile-ups and crashes at intersections)
- A passenger vehicle and a commercial truck such as a tractor-trailer
- A car and another vehicle such as a bus, motorcycle, tractor, or farm equipment
- A car and a pedestrian crossing a street
- A car and a bicyclist, either on the road or sidewalk
- A car and an animal, such as a deer
- A car and a fixed object or structure such as a light pole or house
We know that auto accidents are common. But why do they happen?
As an experienced Richmond car accident lawyer, we know that the primary cause of auto accidents is negligence. Many drivers fail to operate their vehicle safely and breach the duty of care owed to other drivers, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists on the road. Common types of negligent driving include:
- Speeding: Driving at an excessive speed plays a role in thousands of auto accidents. If the driver who hit you was going above the speed limit or too fast for the weather conditions (rain, ice, snow, smoke, sleet, fog, wind), then you may be entitled to compensation for the injuries you suffered in the car crash.
- Distracted Driving/Driving While Texting: Take a look at the driver beside you the next time you are at a stoplight. Chances are good that he or she is on a cell phone. Driving while talking on a cell phone or texting is a contributing factor in thousands of auto accident injuries.
- Drunk Driving: Despite anti-drunk driving laws that impose harsh penalties, many people still drive while under the influence of alcohol. And not surprisingly, drunk drivers continue to cause car crashes. If the driver who struck you had a blood-alcohol content (BAC) above the legal limit of .08, you may be entitled to punitive damages.
- Driving Under the Influence of Drugs: People who get behind the wheel after taking prescription drugs, such as opioids, or after consuming illegal drugs, put others at risk. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has reported an increase in the role of drugs in fatal car crashes.
- Reckless Driving: A driver who refuses to stop at stop signs, changes lanes when there is not enough room, or runs stop lights puts the safety of others at risk.
- Driving While Fatigued: More and more people are not getting enough sleep. The NHTSA estimates that sleep-related car crashes are responsible for thousands of injuries each. Fatigued driving can impair a driver’s reflexes, causing crashes.
- Improper Vehicle Maintenance: A driver’s failure to maintain their car may cause brake or tire failure, which in turn leads to motor vehicle accidents.
No matter the cause, it is important that you have someone knowledgeable, experienced, and skilled on your side. Call auto accident lawyer Richmond VA Corey Pollard for a free consultation. We can help you recover your financial losses after a catastrophic accident.
Common Types of Car Accidents in Richmond, VA
Any type of auto accident has the potential to cause injury to the people involved and damage to property. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, whether minor or major, call a qualified Richmond car accident lawyer today. You’ll find that our team is compassionate, caring, and proactive in getting you the compensation you deserve.
Common types of car accident cases we handle include:
- Bus Accidents
- Cell Phone Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Elderly Driver Accidents
- Failure to Yield Accidents
- Head-On Collisions
- Highway Accidents
- Hit and Run Accidents
- Intersection Accidents
- Interstate Accidents
- Lyft Accidents
- Parking Lot Accidents
- Rear End Collisions
- Rental Car Accidents
- Roll-Over Accidents
- Side Impact Collisions
- Taxi Accidents
- T-Bone Accidents
- Teen Driver Accidents
- Texting While Driving Accidents
- Tow Truck Accidents
- Uber Accidents
If you were injured in one of the motor vehicle accidents listed above, Richmond car accident lawyer Corey Pollard is ready to help.
Common Car Accident Injuries in Richmond, VA
We have seen how violent a car accident can be. Depending on the speed, location of impact, and vehicles involved, you may suffer lifelong injuries requiring surgery, pain management, and rehabilitation. Common car crash injuries include:
- Back and Spinal Cord Injuries: An injured spinal cord can cause paralysis and lifelong pain.
- Bone Fractures: The blunt force trauma of an auto collision can cause fractures of the ankle, leg, and arm.
- Chest Injuries: In an auto accident you may be thrown against the steering wheel, window, or seat belt. This force can cause a fractured sternum, broken ribs, and other internal injuries.
- Head and Brain Injuries: Concussions, post-concussion syndrome, migraines, and memory loss are frequently caused by car wrecks and can affect your ability to work due to decreased cognitive function.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Many motor vehicle accident victims suffer damage to ligaments, tendons, and muscles. We represent many car crash victims who have been diagnosed with strains, sprains, and lacerations.
- Whiplash: Neck strains are common car accident injuries. The force of your auto wreck may cause your neck to extend beyond its normal range of motion, harming the soft tissue in your neck. Car accidents involving side impact and rear end collisions often result in whiplash injuries and associated headaches.
In addition to these injuries, car crash victims may also experience depression, anxiety, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
What to Do After a Car Accident in Richmond, Virginia
If you are involved in an auto accident in the Richmond metropolitan area, there are several things you should do:
1. Seek medical attention immediately. Call 911 and ask for an ambulance if you are in severe pain. Always err on the side of caution and get checked out.
2. Document the car accident. Take pictures and video on your phone if possible. Get the contact information for all drivers and passengers involved, as well as any witnesses who stop to help.
3. Contact your insurance company. Report the claim to your auto insurance carrier. Tell them the date, time, and location of the accident, as well as contact information for all parties and witnesses, the name of the police officer who completed the report, and your injuries.
4. Talk to a car accident lawyer to discuss your legal options.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Richmond Do for You?
When you contact Corey Pollard for legal representation in your auto accident claim, we will get started right away to establish the cause of your crash and who was at fault. As your accident attorney, we will:
- Listen: We know how important it is for you to be able to tell your story. We want to understand how your crash happened, what injuries you suffered, how much time you’ve missed from work, what medical care you’ve received and will need, and why you want to pursue an auto accident claim. We will listen to your concerns, answer your questions, and discuss all available legal options, including personal injury and workers’ compensation claims.
- Provide an Overview of What to Expect: There are many moving parts in motor vehicle accident claims. We will explain what you can expect throughout the personal injury claims process and what steps you should take to give yourself the best chance of success.
- Help You Get Necessary Medical Treatment: We will work with the insurance companies (auto insurance, workers’ compensation insurance, private health insurance, etc.) and health care providers to make sure your injuries are addressed and you receive proper medical care after a car wreck.
- Coordinate Rental Car Coverage and Property Damage Claims: Depending on the severity of your car crash, you may be unable to drive your automobile. This will make it difficult to return to work and attend medical appointments. As your car accident attorney we will help you get your car repaired or replaced.
- Investigate the Accident: We will conduct a detailed investigation of the car wreck, with an eye on determining who was at fault. Our investigation will include: reviewing police reports; taking and reviewing photographs of the crash scene; reviewing all available video footage, including traffic cameras; interviewing witnesses; reviewing witness statements taken by other parties such as the police and insurance company; researching the driving records of all drivers involved in the auto accident; requesting and reviewing cell phone records to determine if distracted driving was a factor; obtaining your medical records; working with treating physicians to establish damages, the extent of your injuries, and the medical care you will require; analyzing warnings, tickets, or citations given by the police for the accident; reconstructing the accident scene; meeting with economic experts to determine your loss of earning capacity due to the car accident injuries; and, more.
- Identify Insurance Policies to Pay Damages: Proving fault is helpful only if there is available insurance coverage or assets from which you can be paid. We will identify all available insurance policies that may pay for your injuries. Virginia law does not require vehicle owners to carry liability insurance that covers personal injuries and damage to others’ automobiles.
- Complete Necessary Paperwork for Your Accident Claim: As your attorney, we will take care of filing all necessary documents with the insurance companies and courts, if necessary. We handle filing deadlines and statutes of limitation so you don’t have to.
- Try to Negotiate a Full Settlement of Your Car Accident Claim: Our goal is to resolve your case fairly and efficiently. We will send a demand letter to all appropriate insurance companies outlining our theory of the case and what damages we think you’re owed. This starts the negotiation process.
- Take Your Case to Trial: We believe in preparing your case as though it will go to court. This aggressive approach allows us to negotiate better settlements for accident victims. But if the insurance company is unwilling to offer a fair settlement, we will fight for you in court.
- Resolve All Liens: Depending on the facts of your case, there may be healthcare liens, workers’ compensation liens, or other claims owed out of the proceeds of your trial award or settlement. As your car accident attorney we will negotiate these liens down so that you pocket more money.
- Handle Your Case on a Contingency Fee: Our accident attorney understands that a serious car accident can cause financial stress. You will have no out-of-pocket costs. And we will not charge an attorney’s fee unless we obtain money for you through an insurance settlement or trial verdict.
Auto accident lawyer Corey Pollard has the skill and experience to negotiate on your behalf and obtain fair compensation for your personal injuries. The insurance company has representatives looking out for its interests. But with an experienced accident attorney on your side, you can overcome this disadvantage and get the money you deserve.
What Types of Damages Can I Recover through an Auto Accident Claim in Richmond, VA?
The amount of compensation that you may recover in a car accident claim in Virginia depends on many factors and the insurance policies providing coverage. Under Virginia law you may seek compensation from the driver or company responsible for your car accident injuries for many types of damages, including:
- Property Damage: This includes the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle.
- Medical Expenses: You may be entitled to compensation for the cost of doctor bills, hospitalizations, therapy, rehabilitation, medications, and related costs such as assistive devices and braces.
- Future Medical Expenses: Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may require lifelong medical treatment, pain management, and even home modifications. You may seek compensation for these future medical costs through a car accident lawsuit.
- Lost Wages: If you miss time from work because of your injuries or treatment, you may claim damages for this lost income. You may also claim compensation for loss of future earning capacity if you are left with permanent restrictions and impairment.
- Pain and Suffering: You may claim damages for the pain, suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life that you have had because of your car accident injuries. Our Richmond automobile accident attorney works with psychologists, psychiatrists, grief counselors, social workers, and case managers to show the loss, pain, and suffering caused by your car wreck and injuries.
- Scars and Disfigurement
- Punitive Damages: You may claim punitive damages to punish the negligent driver, especially if he or she was under the influence, acting recklessly, or violating traffic laws.
Who Will Pay Your Damages from the Car Wreck?
As your Richmond auto accident attorney, we will explore all possible sources of compensation for your car crash injuries. You may be able to recover compensation through:
- The Other Driver’s Liability Insurance Coverage: All Virginia drivers are required to pay a $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee or to purchase auto insurance. If the driver at fault for the accident has insurance coverage, we will pursue payment through that policy. The minimum required liability policy limits are $25,000 for bodily injury per person, $50,000 for bodily injury to two or more people, and $20,000 for property damage. The negligent driver may have more coverage available, but this is a start.
- Your Uninsured/Underinsured (UM/UIM) Coverage: If the at fault driver does not have auto insurance, you may file a claim through your own uninsured motorist coverage. Likewise, if the driver who hit you or caused the accident does not have sufficient coverage for the severity of your injuries, you may seek additional compensation through your underinsured motorists’ coverage.
- Other Coverage: We will research all available policies to determine if there is comprehensive, collision, or medical coverage (Med Pay) available to you. If you were hurt in a work-related car accident, you may have coverage through your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance.
Your Richmond Car Wreck Information Center
Check out the articles below for more information on how to get fair compensation for your car accident injuries.
- How to Report Your Car Wreck and Get a Copy of Your Police Accident Report
- 7 Things the Auto Insurance Adjuster Doesn’t Want You to Know
- How to Negotiate a Car Accident Settlement
- Do You Need Car Insurance in Virginia?
- Deposition Questions for the Defendant Driver
- How to Tell Who is At Fault in a Car Accident
- Why You Should Use Private Health Insurance Coverage for Medical Bills Related to Your Auto Accident
Get a Free Case Review from the Best Car Accident Attorney in Richmond, Virginia
If you drive a car on local roads, streets, and interstates in Richmond, there is a high probability that you will get into an auto accident sooner or later. No matter how careful you are when driving, you can’t control other drivers who may not be paying attention. Someone else’s negligence can cause a terrible crash or multi-car pileup.
If you’ve been through a car accident before, you know there is a lot to deal with after the crash. While you’re trying to get better, the insurance company is trying to deny your claim. Take care of your injuries and family. Let Richmond accident attorney Corey Pollard take care of the complicated legal situation and work on getting you a top-dollar car accident settlement in Virginia. We can help regardless of the type of car accident case you have and handle cases involving crashes that cause brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken bones, concussions, back injuries, neck injuries, paralysis, amputations, and even wrongful death.
We hope you feel comfortable contacting us to share your auto accident story. Please e-mail or call us today to serve as your Richmond car accident attorney. We handle each compassionately and do what we can to help put your life back together after a motor vehicle crash. And you’ll see why Corey Pollard has been voted one of the top motor vehicle accident attorneys in Richmond year after year.